Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Rest in Peace Eddie Guerrero

Pic stolen from http://www.eddicts.com/. I steal but at least I'm honest about it!

Haven't been following wrestling as closely lately. Just came back from bball, took a shower and found that Eddie Guerrero had died on Sunday of heart failure. My mind's still reeling from the news. Eddie Geurrero was one of the best wrestle ever and the fact that he died still at the peak of his career is a great shock.

I remember him coming to the WWF along with Benoit, Malenko and Saturn. His Latino Heat gimmick with Chyna was a blast. He could make the fans laugh and in the ring astound us with his crisp wrestling. As I got on the net, I discovered his old matches from Japan and ECW. Who can forget the best of three falls match he had with Dean Malenko? It was poetry in motion. Wrestling at its finest. Moves and countermoves. Holds and counterholds. No playing to the crowd. Eddie, Benoit and Malenko embodied what I love about wrestling. The psychology and moves.

But Eddie has best entertainer of the bunch. He was the heel we all loved to boo and cheer. His most successful gimmick by far was his 'Lying, Cheating and Stealing' with Chavo. I'll forget laughing my ass off at the crowd chanting 'cheat! cheat! cheat!' and Guerrero using all sorts of stupid cheating techniques. But Eddie had the intensity when things got serious. When it was time for the match the fans knew they were going to get their money's worth.

My favourite Eddie moment was the end of Wrestlemania XX after Benoit finally won the belt. To see two of the best wrestlers ever at the top was a dream come true for wrestling fans. Eddie and Benoit earned their belts the hard way. They weren't pushed down our throats but became fan favourites because they entertained us and wrestled spectacular matches again and again.

People always talk about his battle with drugs and alcohol. To me he represents what wrestling is all about, great talkers who can entertain people in the ring. God took Eddie from us fans too early. I can only dream about Eddie in a Wrestlemania match with Shawn Michaels. I wanted to see a 2/3 falls match with Benoit to rival the great Eddie/Malenko. Eddie v Batista. Eddie v HHH.

Wrestlers are overworked people who put their body through so much punishment just to entertain the fans. The WWE needs to take better care of their wrestlers. Let Eddie's passing be the last one. Give the wrestlers a break. Don't fire them if they get injured. Come on Vince. Wrestlers are not supermen. Doing more restholds and slowing the pace down won't help them. Wrestlers need to do less shows and have more time off.

After this, I'm gonna pop in Eddie's DVD 'Stealing Life, Cheating Death' and watch the matches and promos by one of the greatest wrestlers ever. Rest in peace Eddie. Though you lie, cheat and steal, at least your honest about it and I'm sure you're in Heaven right now picking up some mamasitas in your low rider.

No comments: