Friday, August 18, 2006

Kekkon Dekinai Otoko 4-7


Still my favourite of the shows that I'm watching. I just can't wait for the subs. Shinsuke is a fucking bastard. I just love how he manages to piss everyone off, especially Natsumi without realising it. Like ep 4 when he made the tour guide cry and then embarrass Natsumi. I can sorta understand his need to impart his knowledge on others though. I would say Shinsuke is just acting like any guy would, if they weren't restrained by social etiquette.

Typically, in jdorama comedies there's a conversation going with a certain rythm. The rythm then goes faster and builds up to the punchine. The humour in Kekkon Dekinai Otoko is more 'mature'. I would say its obviously funny that it doesn't need a punchline.

Kuninaka Ryoko gives new meaning to the term 'love thy neighbour'......

Take for example ep 4 when Shinsuke and Natsumi meet on the tour bus and the old man behind addresses him as goushujin. Natsumi sarcastically asks, 'anata dare no goushujin desu ka?' The old later behind offers her some snacks and addresses her as 'oku-san'. The punchline should be anata dare no okusan?' But it never comes. We just get a few minutes of hilarious silence cause the characters and the audience know it.


Ep 5 is a hilarious ep about them trying to break into Shinsuke's apartment. The comedy in ep 6 is in Shinsuke's particularity in making okonomiyaki. But I guess wut it also says is that routines are important to him. The feeling of being in control. Knowing what to expect and what to do. Because one is single, uncertainty is not a good thing. Shinsuke is a bloody well rounded character. He'd better be cause this show revolves around him.

Natsumi ready to kil Shinsuke...

Ep 7 we get to meet Natsumi's dad and its refreshing to see Natsumi running away from her problems for a change. I'm kinda sad that this series is going to end in another 3/4 eps. Its so fucking good that I don't want it to end. So far the pace has been real slow storylinewise but they made up for it with the comedy and character interactions. They can easily do 15 eps or een 18. I dun want it to end. Maybe I'm just afraid that the last few eps will be too 'conventional'. Maybe its because its already ep 7 and there's so much ground to cover storyline wise.


I wish there were more for Kuninaka Ryoko to do. She's too bloody bijin to be relegated to the status of plot device friend. The only thing I don't understand about this show is the Kaneda character. He'll probably have a hand in the ending but I don't see the purpose of the him in this show.

No comments: