Monday, May 05, 2008

4 Shimai Tantei eps 1-4


A detective show with Nakagoshi Noriko (Pride), Kato Natsuki (HYD2) and Ichikawa Yui (H2) certainly sounds like the perfect recipe for a fun dorama. As long as the mysteries don't have big plot holes, I'd be happy staring at them for 9 episodes.



Alas, just when I thought this show had potential, I quickly realised the show's first problem: its got the wrong title. Instead of 4 Shimai Tantei, it should be called Yuriko and her 3 idiotic/useless sisters. Yes, the three actresses who I had looked forward to watching have been reduced to supporting roles. Not only that, they have become irrelevant characters whose only purpose are to be comedy foils and to advance the plot. Sigh, I had so hoped to see what Nakagoshi Noriko can do after only seeing her in Pride.



But not liking the name isn't really the main problem. The main problem is the end of ep 1 when Yuriko caught the criminals in a scene straight out of Home Alone. That's when the realisation really hit me that this was a fucking kids show. FFS, shouldn't shows aimed at kids be screen earlier or something?


Suddenly the stupid characters and dialog made sense. In kids shows, its always the kids who are smart and everyone else is stupid. Smart characters get minimal screen time and only appear to advance the plot. Words cannot describe how pissed off I am at the makers for wasting 3 beautiful actresses to entertain kids watching doramas at 9pm. Avoid!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"In kids shows, its always the kids who are smart and everyone else is stupid."

you nailed it. I too was duped into watching this show with the promise of those babes...

I would've continued to watch it if the main actress was Ohgo Suzuka... She's a pleasure to watch and can hold a show together by herself.

"Words cannot describe how pissed off I am at the makers for wasting 3 beautiful actresses"

I know right? Yet you still went onto watch 4 episodes! Director win, you lose!!! I bet you will finish the show too. HAHA!

lzyData said...

Yeah I was disappointed too. The mysteries are not mysterious, the body count is ridiculously high, the Namase & Muroi gags as well as the there-and-not-there dad (hurhur) get boring quickly. The only two watchable things are Kaho and Yoshizawa's hair.

Yet you still went onto watch 4 episodes! Director win, you lose!!! I bet you will finish the show too. HAHA!

Heh. Count me as another sucker.

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised you lasted 4 episodes; I dropped it after 1. It's the lowest rated show of last season (out of all the dramas from the major studios). 1 episode even dropped to 3.x, the lowest I've ever seen, and that should tell you something.

Anonymous said...

How can you not even mention the name of the main actress, Kaho? She's the cutest of them all!!! :^)

Anonymous said...

^probably because we're all bunch of old oyajis and have to draw the line at 18 or older...