Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Boku no Tsuma to Kekkon Shite Kudasai Eps 1+2


I was going to try this out for Kimura Tae but I was afraid it was going to be your run of the mill sappy cancer dorama. From the first frame with the stage-like retelling of Mimura Shuji's childhood to the sitcom like wide camera angle of the house scenes, there was a different vibe to this dorama.It did not feel run of the mill at all.


Boku no Tsuma to Kekkon Shite Kudasai takes its time with the cancer and Shuji finally deciding he needs to fix his wife with up with someone before he dies. I won't spoil the who or why but its pretty funny. Actually, its not who or why but rather the hilarious situations and dialogue that it leads to.



Speaking of how funny TsumaKon is, the only people Shuji can talk to about his plan are his doctor (Koizumi Kotaro) and nurse. In giving Shuji advice, we can see the relationship issues between the doctor and nurse come to the surface with the eyes throwing daggers. I love it when dialogue says more about the speaker than other people. I'm surprised they got those two playing minor supporting parts.


Speaking of funny, this show is less sappy more feel good laughter. I'm watching it thinking, damn this dialogue is pretty good and the jokes are more hit than miss. Its nothing I've never heard before; perfect couple, husband with a secret but everything just works.


So I looked up the wiki to write this before I go on to episode 3 and lo and behold, the writer is Yoshikazu Okada who just recently graced us with the horrible Kokoro ga Pokitto ne. Talk about huge difference in quality. I think Kokoro ga Pokitto ne's failure had more to do with casting and directing though.


I am excited but I'm scared cause Yoshikazu Okada's recent good shows always end up short of being must watch such as Saigo Kara Nibanme no Koi. Uchimura Teruyoshi and Kimura Tae are really effing good. Its hard to make nice people interesting but the script does help a lot.


Very close to calling it a must watch. The first two episodes are really fun but I just don't want to label something must watch and then watch it fall apart after a strong start. I wonder if the same people who made Cofee-ya no Hitobito are involved in this as well.

No comments: