Tuesday, October 04, 2016

A Bride for Rip Van Winkle

Ah, Iwai Shunji. A very talented director who made a good movie (Love Letter), a good first episode to a dorama (April Story), overrated movie that put me to sleep (All About Lily Chou) and an acclaimed movie I can't remember anything about (Hana and Alice). Suffice to say, I'm not a big fan but his talent is undeniable so I went in with low expectations.



You can watch A Bride for Rip van Winkle as a movie or a dorama. They are both the same. I'd recommend watching it as a dorama because like all Iwai Shunji movies, it is slow as. Its still beautiful enough so that I didn't skip any scenes but it was a frustrating movie to watch because introduces interesting elements to the story such as the Noriko's Dinner Table like fake family substory but doesn't take them far enough. The most interesting character in the show is Ayano Gou's Amuro. I so wanted him to take centre stage in the movie but Iwai kept pushing him to the side and we got way too much Cocco.


Rip van Winkle is a movie where it takes a long time for the real story to be revealed but the journey should be a lot more fun. I kind of get in my head what Iwai Shunji wants to convey but this movie just lacks that playfulness to make it memorable. I was happiest watching this movie when two faces I know showed up for a cameo near the end. I can't say any more without spoiling the whole thing.


Iwai Shunji fans will probably eat this up. For me it was a movie that looked good but didn't entertain me. Meh.

5 comments:

Buck said...

I've watched April Story but is it a prequel to a drama?

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen this - not really interested because Iwai's works can be hit or miss. Have you seen Kimi wa Ii ko? It's got Kora Kengo and Ono Machiko. One of my recent favorites for sure.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say the comments widget on the right hand side doesn't seem to be working right.
As always thanks for posting your thoughts and reviews Mike.

Akiramike said...

Buck : That's what April story felt like to me.

Anon : Thanks for the Kimi wa Ii ok recommendation. I 'll try to reload the comments widget.

Anonymous said...

when a reviewer didn't get the theme of the movie T_T