Friday, May 11, 2018

Innocent Days Episodes 1+2

We just had the wonderful Hokuto last year about a person who has had a horrible life commit an unforgivable crime. WOWOW is doing the same type of story again with Innocent Days with an incredible cast of big names led by Takeuchi Yuko and Tsumabuki Satoshi with the added part of childhood friends getting together to help a friend on death row.

Unfortunately, episode 1 was really bad for me. The editing and pacing just felt off and confusing with the flashbacks. Episode 2 is better with yet another person from Takeuchi Yuko's past causing her some grief.


My biggest problem with Innocent Days is the lack of pathos I am feeling for Takeuchi Yuko's (and Tsumabuki Satoshi's) character. Showing me this character had experienced certain hardships is not enough. I need to be able to see these events from the character's perspective, which is something Innocent Days lacks. That childhood hill explorer's group seems so underdeveloped and should have been a bigger part of the story because I don't buy this bond between the characters.


I apologise at my weak attempt to explain my indifference to Innocent Days. There's just something off and I think its the direction and editing. I want to like it but I feel like I'm wasting my time when Hokuto did it so much better. Doubt I'll continue watching. Meh from me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, Innocent Days remind me of Gukoroku more. Though if you compare it to Hokuto, i have nothing against it. Hokuto was so good.

Anyway, have you seen Infinity War? I'd like to hear your thoughts!